This weekend consisted of house cleaning, hair cutting, and first birthday celebrations.
Thursday afternoon, Owen got himself a haircut. Well, a really good trim if you will. Friday included a day date! If you follow me on Instagram or on Facebook, you probably saw that already. Saturday was spent cleaning the house because we’ve been slacking in that department since school started up again. Yikes. Sunday was spent celebrating my nephew’s first birthday.
How was your weekend? Great, I hope! I wanna hear all about it! Drop me a comment below
Happy fresh new week, friends. I’m currently under house arrest. My DL expired yesterday (on my birthday!) and I went last week to get a new one only to run into a few snags, so need a new social security card before I can get a new Drivers License and David is working all week this week, so I can’t even get a new social until who knows when…. and then it takes about 10 days to get it in the mail. So, I’m temporarily under house arrest while life happens all around me (and Owen. Due to his age, he’s under house arrest as well, poor boy).
I saw Dolores the Car this morning just sitting in the driveway. She looked sad. So sad. It was like she was saying, “Amber! Drive me! Drive me and get your free Starbucks birthday reward! Drive me and take Owen to preschool, Amber!” and I’m just standing there shaking my head and drinking my coffee, telling Dolores to shut her dirty mouth. My car doesn’t really have a name. Dolores just seemed appropriate for the story.
In our downtime, the kids like to make their own costumes. This was Owen’s that Fin is wearing. I cut the eyes for him.
We also FINALLY headed to Famous Dave’s to get our birthday dinners. This restaurant has become our go-to for birthday celebrations. Since we didn’t get to go for Fin’s birthday (because we were all dying from back to school germs), we combined it and both got desserts!
He ordered a banana pudding and I got a hot fudge sundae. Maddie and Owen devoured the sundae for me. Fin offered out a few bites of his, but for the most part ate it all by himself. He also go ballsy and decided to use some Famous Dave’s hot sauce and see how long he could go without drinking water. (Snapchatters, you probably saw this. Follow me here if you don’t already)
Sunday was my birthday. David had to work, go figure. But we enjoyed a lazy day at home. Maddie gave me a pedicure.
The kids cleaned the house for me and helped make me a cake. Maddie helped make it, I frosted it, the boys decorated it.
The Bronocs won, we ate Buffalo Chicken Quesadillas for dinner, and went to bed early. Yay! Whatever David ordered me for my birthday should be in today, so I’m super pumped to see what that’s gonna be! He says I can’t open it until he gets home though…. Fingers crossed for an early day, guys! Haha. Or a late mail day. 😉
1. I have some news. Some like life changing (not a baby) news. David’s in the process of getting medically discharged. He’s getting the big ole boot right out of the Army. It’s a weird thing to think about. It’s scary. It’s seriously stressful, the Army has been part of our whole live together up to this point. David was a “Lifer”, in til retirement. We had planned for this lifestyle for another 7 years and now in a matter of months we’re having to plan out a whole new future. We don’t really know all of the details yet, and won’t for a bit still, but within the next few months, aidios, Army! We already have plans for every which way this could play out. But I’ll update here and there as we go along and as we find things out.
2. I almost have a 9yr old. Like, what?! WHAT?! Fin will be nine next week. He’s counting down the days! I’m counting down because I love birthdays! And since his birthday falls on a weekday, that means we’re going out this weekend to celebrate! Yay! And he has no clue.
3. I finally signed up to get Glam Bags from ipsy and I think I love it. I am really really excited to try the exfoliant. I’ve heard really good things about Paula’s Choice. Do you get the bag? I figured $10 a month couldn’t hurt. (obviously that’s my referral link. Why would I NOT link that up?!) I’m excited to see what comes in next month’s bag!
4. Owen loves preschool. Hooray! I knew he would. I wasn’t sure if he’d be a bit nervous like last year, but I think he was itching for it to start up as much as I was. While it’s in a new building, it’s the same teacher with a few of his friends from last year’s class, so he was thrilled about that.
5. I threw on jeans and a shirt this morning and asked Maddie to grab me some shoes and a scarf. She brought me boots because she was wearing boots. She then threw on her scarf with tassles too. I feel like I need some cat ears too to be as cool as her. :p
The photo above…. a bit much? Eh well! I kind of love it! It seems suiting and fun and it’s ridiculousness and over-the-topness makes me like it.
Anyway, in case you missed the memo — it’s my birthday! And like I do every year, I put myself through hell trying to get people to sign up to be a part of my birthday week of giveaways (it’s just one day this year – we’ve been crazy busy around these parts) and then spent forever triple checking links & emailing people and yada yada yada, but every year it’s totally worth it because today is my birthday & I have a fun giveaway for you guys.
TERMS & CONDITIONS: this giveaway is open to US residents ONLY. By entering you give the right to use your name and likeness. Number of entries received determines the odds of winning. One winner will be selected. This is a giveaway sponsored as a group buy, which means the bloggers pooled their money together to purchase this product for you or are gifting their services. Winner will be drawn by random.org from all verified entries, contacted by email provided, and announced on this page at the end of the contest. Winner has 48 hours to respond or prize will be redrawn. Entrant is responsible for the email address they provide, whether through typing it directly or through the Facebook entry method. Amber Nicole is not responsible for lost or misdirected emails. All prizes will be awarded. No prize substitutions allowed. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Facebook and we hereby release Facebook of any liability. Information is provided to Amber Nicole, not to Facebook and your information is never sold or shared. Facebook, Rodan + Fields and Target are not a sponsor of this giveaway. Prize is mailed or emailed directly by Amber Nicole and bloggers giving away items and requires confirmation of delivery. Protected tweets do not count as an entry method for tweeting. Tweets must come from a public account. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law.
Today is my birthday! For the past few years, I’ve done a week long blog celebration in the form of giveaways but this year decided just to round up a few people to help me celebrate! So today we’re giving away some money to one of y’all!
I also asked the girls their favorite thing about birthdays! Here’s what they all had to say!
Michelle says, “Being with loved ones” Deb says, “I love any excuse to celebrate. Period.” Tawny says, “Spending time with family and friends!” Sarah says, “I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say cake! I freaking LOVE cake :)” Angie says, “I love getting together with my friends to celebrate!” Mindy says, “Presents and cake! Haha! But seriously, I always spend my birthday at my favorite place – Disneyland! Even though I am a frequent visitor, there’s always something magical about spending your birthday at Disney.” Karissa says, “Having one day that’s all about me. No one is allowed to tell me no.” Chelsee says, “My absolutely favorite thing about birthdays are all of the surprises!” Laurie says, “Celebrating with my family and friends.”
A huge “thank you” to these lovely ladies for helping me celebrate my special day! What is YOUR favorite thing about birthdays?
So I’ll let Melissa take over now! Be sure to wish her a VERY happy birthday!! ——————————————————————————————————————————————————
February is the month that most people associate with love. It’s all hearts, candy, flowers and romance. Or disappointment, heartache and tons of ice cream or other comfort food to drown your lack of love/romance in. Thanks Valentine’s Day.
I’m not going to go into how much I loathe Valentine’s Day and the commercialism of this “pretend” holiday. Or even how I’m bitter that Valentine’s Day overshadows and gets in the way of my birthday, which happens to be February 14.
Instead, I’m going to highlight 10 ways to celebrate a Valentine’s Birthday
1. Have pizza delivered to them for lunch along with flowers. Everyone loves pizza and pizza, for most people, was a childhood birthday food staple. As for the flowers, flowers just make people happy. But stay away from roses…too “Valentine”.
2. If you take them out for dinner, try and go to a place that will have live music, like a piano player. Arrange to have the musician(s) play “Happy Birthday” when they enter the room. Everyone in the room will know someone’s celebrating a birthday and that things besides Valentine’s Day happen on February 14.
3. Get them a really cool gift that is in no way related to Valentine’s Day and/or love. I suggest the Beanie Buddy octopus named Inky. It’s an octopus named INKY! A friend gave me this in high school and I LOVE it. Especially the name.
4. Throw them a surprise party. Who doesn’t love a surprise party? The birthday person will be beyond touched that so many people gave up celebrating Valentine’s Day to celebrate the day of their birth instead.
5. Bake a cake. This is a thoughtful thing. One of my best birthdays involved my roommates making me a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting and ‘Happy 19th Birthday Melissa’ spelled out in licorice. It doesn’t have to be perfect…it really is the thought that counts.
6. Take them out. Blow off work/school/responsibilities to take them to a bar and do birthday shots with them mid-day (or right after work). Valentine’s Day hasn’t really kicked into full gear yet, so they’ll be able to enjoy their birthday without a ton of couples around celebrating Valentine’s Day. If things get a bit wild, that’s ok. And let’s be honest…shots really do make things better.
7. Spa day. Nothing says birthday like being pampered. Even if you can’t afford a full spa day, send them for something…manicure, pedicure, facial or even a massage. This really is the best way to spend your birthday.
8. Dance party. Just make sure there are no ‘love’ songs on the playlist. Many of my birthdays have included impromptu dance parties and they are ALWAYS fun. Plus, this is so easy to do! Turn on some music and start dancing.
9. Do something they love but not Valentine’s related. For example, if their favourite restaurant is having a Valentine’s special, skip it. They like to bowl and the local bowling alley is doing rock-and-bowl, this would be good. I spent a lot of my birthdays at rinks watching hockey games.
10. Remember their birthday. This really is just basic. Year round so many people remember my birthday because it’s on Valentine’s Day. But then, the actual day arrives and no one remembers/cares because they are so busy and focused on Valentine’s Day. Try and remember their birthday outside of Facebook- send them an e-mail, text message or a phone call is better than a Facebook message (which points out who’s celebrating a birthday that day).
If you know someone who is born on Valentine’s Day, do something nice for them- forgo celebrating the fake “holiday” that is Valentine’s Day and instead celebrate the day of their birth. They really will appreciate it. Trust me.