I see lists like this all the time on Pinterest (you can follow my boards here) and a lot of them, I just sit and think, “Well….. No! Just No! My child can’t do that” or “that’s genius! Why didn’t I think of that”
So I decided to compile a little list of my own.
Since Fin is 5 and Maddie is 4, I think I’ve finally found a good amount of chores that they can do (we alternate days and who does what)
So here goes:
- Feed and water the animals.
- Vacuum. (Fin loves this one!)
- Put away your toys.
- Bring your dirty clothes to the laundry room.
- Put your clothes away (aside from hanging their shirts)
- Set the table. -They get the silverware for everyone and whatever condiments are appropriate for that meal.
- Clear the table.
- Wipe off the coffee table.
- Wipe off the T.V. Stand.
- Help carry in the groceries. (Lighter bags, obviously)
- Help put away groceries.
- Help match socks.
- Check the mail. (I stand outside with them, while they open and close the mailbox and grab the mail)
- Help make meals. (Bring me such and such, mix such and such, pour such and such, etc etc)
- Put away the shoes.
- Help me with the baby. (Grab me a diaper or hand me his blanket, etc etc)
- Pick up the dog/cat toys/treats. (The animals obviously can’t clean up after themselves)
- Help clean out the car. (75% of my car’s messiness is from them, they can help clean it!)
- Help each other clean up messes. (You teach your child to share toys and what not, why not teach them to help share responsibilities as well)
- Sweep. (They’re not the greatest at this one yet, but they will sweep up the piles I’ve already swept up and they try their hardest to actually sweep. Work in progress)
Now I’m sure there are many more and many variations but these are just some of the things that my kids do.
Take from my list, add your own, etc etc. But seriously, I encourage you to give your child(ren) a chore.
You’ll be surprised by how they react. Mine love to help and usually are pretty willing to do their chores.
And for being such little things, they do help me a lot.
Can you think of anything I’m forgetting?
I’d love to hear your ideas on these!